What are Freckles and Birthmarks?
Freckles are often flat and circular spots of melanin on human skin. These spots develop randomly and may differ in size and color. Both men and women get freckles at an equal rate.
Birthmarks, on the other hand, are blemishes on the skin that are noticeable at birth or shortly afterward. A significant portion of newborns has birthmarks.
These pesky spots are often not desirable and one might wish to get rid of them sooner than later.
What are the various types of freckles and birthmarks?
Freckles are mainly of two types:
- Ephelides Freckles: These are flat red or light brown spots that appear in the summers and disappear by the time winter approaches
- Lentigines Freckles: These are small tan brown or black spots which tends to be darker than Ephelides freckles and they do not fade in winters
Birthmarks are mainly of seven types:
- Café au lait spots: These are oval in shape with a light-brown or coffee color
- Congenital Melanocytic Nevus: These can be flat, raised or lumpy and their color often ranges from light-brown to black
- Mongolian Spots: These marks often look like bruises and are blue-grey in color
- Hemangiomas: These marks start off as small and flat but gradually becomes red and raised
- Telangiectasia Nevus: These are characterized as patches of slightly reddened skin
- Port Wine Stain: These may vary in size but are often red and purple marks that usually occur around the face
- Silvermark: These are a silver streak of hair usually found on the left or the right side of the forehead
What are the causes of freckles and birthmarks?
Freckles can have various causes like:
- Heredity: If your parents have freckles then it is quite likely that you might have them too
- Rare Disorder: Disorders like Xeroderma Pigmentosum can result in one acquiring freckles
- Sunlight: Exposure to sunlight for a longer duration can cause freckles
- Hormonal Imbalance: Estrogen can over stimulate pigment-producing cells which might result in freckles
While birthmarks can have causes like:
- Physical Injury: Sometimes injury or bursting of a blood vessel in the formative years could result in an individual developing a birthmark
- Heredity: If your parents have birthmarks then it is quite possible that you might have them too
What can Lumiere do for you?
Most birthmarks and freckles are hard to get rid of and can hinder your quest to have a perfect skin so to help you Lumiere has created various treatments that might help you achieve your perfect skin. Here at Lumiere, our dermatologists offer the best treatment for the removal of Freckles and Birthmarks. We offer you the clear skin you always wanted quickly and safely. So go ahead and book your appointment today!