Are you using the same techniques to prevent aging during summer as well as winter? Well, you’ve been doing it wrong. Time to revamp your skin care routines and take on some pro-active steps to keep wrinkles, age spots and sagging skin at bay! Summer is a very hot season and it is extremely important to prevent your skin from sun damage. Prolonged exposure to the sun can make your skin look leathery, discolored, wrinkled and dry. Well, don’t worry, here are some awesome tips that will help keep you looking young and gorgeous this summer.
- Exfoliation: When the lower layers of the skin create new cells, they later migrate to the outer skin surface. The build-up of dead skin cells on your face can lead to a blotchy appearance of your face and can make it look uneven. For this reason, you should use rejuvenating exfoliating agents to ensure that your face is clear of dead skin cells. Try exfoliating your skin before applying self-tanners as well. This will ensure an even layer of the application.
- Sunscreen: There is nothing that will benefit your skin more than the daily (or even every few hours) application of sunscreen. Applying sunscreen ensures that you get full protection from the sun and the antioxidants in the sunscreen can help correct the UV damage that has been caused previously due to the sun.
- Moisturize, moisturize and moisturize: Using a moisturizer is a key component in maintaining a young face and to keep it free from most forms of damage. Exposure to the sun, salt water, and chlorine can make your skin become extremely dry. Moisturizers are there for this very reason. Regular moisturizing helps to keep your skin looking full and radiant. It stimulates the production of new and rejuvenated collagen on your face to make it appear less wrinkled.
- Visit Your Dermatologist: Make sure to visit your dermatologist regularly. Some things may get better with age, but your skin is not one of them. As skin is the largest organ of the body, you may experience some skin problems such as spots, rashes and marks. All these issues can make your skin appear much older than it actually is. Thus, it is best to take advice as soon as possible in order to keep such problems away.
- DNA Repair: There are multiple serums available that help repair cellular DNA damage caused by free radicals as well as reduce uneven skin tone, wrinkles, and fine lines. Consult your dermatologist before using over-the-counter serums.
- Hydrate Yourself: The best medicine for all skin related problems lies with water. Drinking plenty of water will protect you from dehydration and will flush out toxins and unwanted stomach germs from the body. It also helps in removing fine lines from the skin and ensures wrinkle-free skin. Include some summer fruits in your diet, such as oranges, cantaloupe, and watermelon to provide plenty of refreshment and hydration.
- Lifestyle changes- Exercising everyday flushes out toxins, boost circulation and gives you a more youthful appearance along with overall health benefits. Avoid smoking as it can damage collagen and elastin, which are responsible for giving your skin its strength and elasticity. As a result, your skin begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely.
- Anti-Aging Diet: Green vegetables should be your best friend. This is because they help with detoxifying the system and provide your body with healthy fats. You can stay away from potatoes and corn (but you can indulge in sweet potatoes). You should avoid sugar, at all costs. Stick to fruits like avocados, kiwis, pomegranates, papayas, etc.
- Catching some extra zzz’s: Take benefit from this lazy summer and sleep about 7-8 hours a day. Sufficient sleep plays an important role in keeping aging at bay. Also, make sure that you apply a night cream before you go to sleep so that your skin can get essential moisturizing, nourishing benefits it needs.
- Don’t forget eyes: The skin around eyes thins quite easily and thus is vulnerable to aging. So, do apply the eye repair cream every day for adequate protection. This cream is indeed essential in summer as the sun is brutal and you might find yourself squinting more than usual.
- Love those lips: Lips are particularly vulnerable to sun damage, and without any protection can look wrinkly, dry or cracked. So, get a lip balm or gloss with SPF of 15 or higher and reapply often.
- Homemade Remedies: There are a number of different remedies available to fight all signs of aging without spending a penny-
o Aloe Vera Mask: Aloe vera is a medicinal plant that helps enhance beauty as well as has multiple applications in health care. Using 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel along with half a tablespoon of lemon juice can make you a face pack that will give you naturally glowing skin!
o Apple, Lemon and Potato Mask: Green apple has been proven to have anti-aging properties. Therefore, green apples will help in exfoliating your skin. Potatoes and lemons are known for their bleaching properties and will leave you with an instant glow on your face. Make a face pack by using 1 tablespoon of green apple, 1 tablespoon of potato pulp and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply it on your face to get healthy, young-looking skin.
Your skin deserves to glow a lifetime!! So, don’t let this season take a toll on it. Follow these tips and keep your skin looking healthy and flawless this summer!